Saturday, September 22, 2012

Trying Liquid Watercolors

At the children's Catholic Schoolhouse, I was introduced to liquid watercolor paints. I hadn't known watercolors existed outside of the little dehydrated pellets we give to kids, although it should have been obvious to me that the "real thing" is liquid! Anyway, the liquid watercolors were such a beauty to work with that I bought some for home use.



The watercolors really stretch a long way. I bought 40 ounces for $10. Water colors can be diluted with up to four parts water, so if I'm doing my math right (not my strong suit), these make 200 ounces of paint, which would be 20 cents per ounce. I used about a teaspoon of paint per cup on this particular day and even that turned out to be way too much (for the ten pictures they painted!), considering how far it goes on watercolor paper. That tells me be even more sparing next time.

4 comments:

  1. Catholic Schoolhouse sounds better and better! :-) We regularly mix our own watercolors too. I love it because you can customize the strength of the color and it teaches the kids shading. I hated the pan watercolors as I kid, and I've never bought them for the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those watercolors look awesome! Too bad they're sold out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fun! Where did you buy this at? Are you using watercolor paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mari, I bought the watercolors on Amazon. The exact ones I bought are sold out, but there are other quantities and combos available.

    ReplyDelete