Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve 2011


Normally the only reason Chris is up at midnight is if he's working long hours (which is often) and the only reason I'm awake at that time is if I'm nursing a baby who has woken (which is often). This year proved no different in that we didn't manage to stay awake to see the clock turn to the New Year.

But we did have an impromptu celebration to close out 2011! We had another family over for a casual what's-in-my-pantry-already dinner (spaghetti!) and, for dessert, chocolate fondue, in which we dipped store-bought pound cake, graham crackers, pretzels, strawberries, apples, and marshmallows.

Our kids shocked and delighted us when Mary announced at seven o'clock, "I'm sleepy." She began walking herself upstairs and John said, "I'm sleepy too." And he followed his sister. So I went upstairs just to see what on earth was going on and found them putting on their pajamas. I tucked them in and they went to sleep like that! I begged our guests (whose child is only 2-1/2) to know that this was not typical and not to have any misconceptions about how we've figured out Kid Sleep.

We're so boring that we didn't have any champagne and our guests left by eight o'clock, which was fine with all of us because of our mutual stations in life with little kids. It was nice to have some fun even if we're sort of "driving in the slow lane of the highway" these days.

Happy New Year! And happy feast day of Mary, Mother of God!

Bonus sweet moment: My "mommy paycheck" for today was given to me this morning when Mary approached me spontaneously and said, "I love you up up up to the top of God's head!"

No comments:

Post a Comment