Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Feast of St. Lucy 2011

This was the first year we incorporated the traditional celebration of this bold virgin-martyr into our Advent.

Watch: Video of Holy Heroes Advent Adventure a couple of days ago which explained Sta. Lucia

Listen to: Many renditions of "Santa Lucia" on YouTube


For breakfast, cook: hot chocolate and lussekatter (using the easy preparation, not the hard one!)

Pray at breakfast: "St. Lucy, you did not hide your light under a basket, but let it shine for the whole world, for all the centuries to see. We may not suffer torture in our lives the way you did, but we are still called to let the light of our Christianity illumine our daily lives. Please help us to have the courage to bring our Christianity into our work, our recreation, our relationships, our conversation--every corner of our day. Amen." (from www.catholic.org)

 The wonderful Sta. Lucia wreath lent to us by a friend was a bit too big!


Our little "Lucia bride" was much happier when she could wear the tinsel headband which did fit her. 

Coloring a paper doll of Sta. Lucia

For dessert: Serve the (store-bought) traditional ginger snaps that I forgot to put out at breakfast time!

Resource: Another good blog describing ways to celebrate the Feast of St. Lucy

5 comments:

  1. So sweet! You have the best little kid celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine! I keep firmly in my mind that my academic homeschooling still takes very little time, so I have time to devote to these sweet liturgical celebrations that might take a back burner later. I hope I can still do them, but I can only take one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still try one day at a time and am pleased when I get some semblance of a project out or "extra" baking done. But it makes an impact on the kids! Baking bread with Aaron, my second son this week... You should've seen his pride when it was served with dinner and to his siblings. I wish I had time and energy for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine: I bet Aaron was proud! We can only do so much. Much of your energy has to go into gestation alone! I know I am doing a lot of things now I won't always be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Looks like they had a lot of fun. Love Mary's Lands End dress :)

    ReplyDelete