Friday, November 18, 2011

Bermuda Triangle of Lost Time

12:10: "Okay, kids! Gather round! We are leaving for Art Class in 30 minutes. We hardly have anything to do, so this is going to be easy. Kids, I want you to straighten up the den while I straighten up the kitchen. Ready, set, go!"

12:20: "Wow, that was super. We've picked up and we're almost ready to go. All we need are potty checks, coats, socks, and shoes. We might as well be early to class for once." (Mama is envisioning how we will be so early that the kids will frolic in the grass quadrangle for 15 minutes until class begins.)

12:45: walking out to the van (and you know it takes five more minutes to load on a good day), Mama thinks: 'What on earth? How did we start with 20 minutes to do what would take me three minutes to do for myself, and yet now we're late, as always?'

1:10: walking into Art Class, ten minutes late, as usual.

You know, when I was single, people joked that they could set a clock by me, I was so timely. Since having kids, I find myself--organized though I am--circling in some kind of Bermuda Triangle of Lost Time that makes me late no matter how early I start to get us ready.

So, if you invite us over to your house for dinner or something, I apologize in advance. We're going to be late.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank heavens it's not just me! I'm still mourning the fact that I'm no longer a timely person. And it's only going to get worse in three months, when #2 arrives....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I basically have 2 chlldren at home most of the time: 12 and 9 (almost 13 and 10), and I can't walk out the door on time even if they're not coming with me! You...we...have to plan to leave 15 minutes earlier than we think. And then add another 10-15 minutes at arrival to get them and their gear out of the car. So, it actually needs to be 30 minutes early, no matter where you're going.

    ReplyDelete