Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ice Cream Dress

After a debacle in which I spent every small spare moment for three weeks sewing the next pair of curtains for the garage, only to discover that I had made the wrong size and that these curtains do not fit any windows in my home . . .

. . . I sewed the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress for Mary, now up in a size 3 (which is why the neckline is a bit loose).



I made four adaptations: I did not use contrasting fabric for the yoke and hem (because I decided at the last moment that the contrasting fabric I had purchased was not complementary enough), I lengthened the hem by two inches, I lengthened the sleeves by two inches, and I did not make the triangular cut-outs at the neckline or pockets.

Mary upon finding the dress this morning insisted on trying it on, then didn't want to take it off. As she was swirling about in her new dress, she announced to John, "We are going to do a Passion Play." (For anyone who doesn't know, a Passion Play is a play enacting the final agony of Christ, from his trial through his Crucifixion). I sat eagerly to watch what she would do. She sat on the bed and instructed John where he was to sit on the bed.


A dramatic pause ensued. Then Mary instructed . . .


"Now, we dance!"


And she proceeded to dance in spins and twirls and leaps in her new dress, with brother mimicking her.

No comments:

Post a Comment