Sunday, February 28, 2010

Boston Day 1

We made another attempt, this time successful, to join Chris on a business trip to Boston!

We woke up at 5:00 to catch our early flight, which meant the kids were ready to fall asleep on the airplane. Mary was throwing tantrums in my lap so Chris offered to give it a try. I had little faith, but it seems Mary is at that new, glorious age when the baby starts responding better to Daddy's authority than Mama's. He told her several times that he was going to hold her and she couldn't leave his lap, so she stopped screaming, put her head down, and went to sleep.

Meanwhile, John fell asleep in his middle seat. In all our airplane travel, I've always lugged a book in my purse, in hopes of pleasure reading, but, of course, I've never been able to care for the kids and read. This time I disallowed myself to bring a book and I found myself with two hours of freedom: sleeping children and nobody in my arms!

The kids had grand fun playing on this bench while Chris retrieved our luggage. John would call out "bus!" every time one drove by and Mary would call out "truck!" because that is the only vehicle word she knows. Note how Mary is climbing the armrest. She climbs anything she can to get higher, and I was continually pulling her down from the top of the chairs.

All this climbing does result in falls sometimes. (No babies were hurt in the making of this photo.)


We are staying at a Benedictine Abbey (I will document it with more photos later) where this friendly Golden Retriever Shannon lives (and mostly sleeps).

Our friends Ben and Rebecca met us at the Abbey, so I finally got to meet Rebecca in person! She and I met online more than three years ago and became fast friends: we email each other, we talk on the phone, we exchange gifts at holidays--and I'm one of the few people she tells when she's going into labor! This photo is of my 15-month-old Mary meeting her 10-month-old Julius ("Jules").

That evening we went to dinner with our friends, where John created this snappy headband.

John, Chris, two-and-a-half-year-old Leo, and Ben

Mary, Katherine, Rebecca, and Jules

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are having a great time! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip. Safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete