Thursday, November 19, 2009

Preschooler Ennui

Lately John has begun affecting great exhaustion whenever he does not want to do something. So, if I'm trying to herd the children inside, he'll sit down on the driveway with a loud series of sighs and tell me he is too tired to walk, to which I cheerfully say that he sure looks exhausted, therefore I will have to carry him inside. That causes him to leap up, screaming that he wants to walk himself.

Last night it was time to pick up the den and I suggested that John start by picking up books while I did the trains. With sighs and mannerisms that were the definition of ennui, John replied, "I wish I could . . . but I can't," and sunk to the floor. Chris and I both had to hide our laughter.

Unfortunately, this is another case in which John has learned his words from his mother. Often when John asks to do something fun, like go to the safari today, I'll say cheerfully, "Oh, going to the safari would be fun! I wish we could do that today, but we can't." I thought I was helping alleviate the sting by identifying with his feelings, but apparently the side effect is that John thinks he can get out doing things he doesn't want to do!

2 comments:

  1. Quite reasonable, I'd say. :)
    Do you ever tell him, "I really don't want to right now, but I will anyway." ? Maybe he'll pick that one up too. lol (yeah right)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL

    Kids are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete