Saturday, October 17, 2009

Washing the Books

Chris and I were praying the rosary in the kitchen when John finally skittered away to the den and we were relieved he was finally playing quietly.

A little too quietly.

A couple of rosary decades later he returned with his empty water bottle and asked for more water. I said 'sure' and was filling it up when it dawned on me that he had drank that water a lot faster than usual.

"Honey, you aren't doing water play in the den, are you?"

"No, I'm washing the books!"

That did not sound good at all, so I investigated. Indeed, John had "washed" a stack of his books, some toys, a hat, and the entire sofa (which is, thankfully, leather).

All's well that ends well. I didn't even get mad at him because he actually doesn't understand that water damages books and, when I explained it, he adamantly refuted me. He washed books, he didn't hurt books, and why didn't I understand?

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, boy you sure are getting to be a seasoned mom. I can't imagine you being so chill about this a year ago.

    Sounds like a great opportunity for a little school science experiment! Make some "books" out of loose leaf (or get some contraband books out that you need to destroy :)) and douse them in water and then try to turn the pages. That will probably stick with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea Sarah Faith had.

    Great job keeping a cool head. I don't know that I would have fared so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too was going to mention the fact that that is quite *heroic* that you didn't lose your cool... not sure i wouldve been like that, sadly. but youre so right... he wouldn't have known that water would harm books/paper.

    thanks for a nice reminder to think on their level :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only resource to knowing how to respond to John's "washing" his books, is in your heart and unconditional love. You are an awesome mom, Katherine!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete