Friday, October 23, 2009

Vegan Chili

What did I do this morning? Oh, just cooked a little chili . . .

I am attending a one-day La Leche League workshop with about 50 attendees tomorrow, which my chapter is hosting, so I volunteered to cook the vegan chili (it was specified to be vegan, and the other chilis being cooked are meat).

Having a Cuisinart made all the difference in chopping so many vegetables.

Having a super gigantic pot, given to us by my dad for Christmas some years back, also was critical! And I don't have a picture of it, but the third important piece of equipment was my Ergo because Mary rode on my back during my hour and a half of cooking!

I'm taking the three 14-cup containers to the workshop tomorrow, along with my slow cooker for warming. One small container will be our dinner tonight, and the other three small containers I'll freeze for future dinners.

I give this Rachel Ray chili recipe top marks! My husband loves his meat and once won a chili contest at a local bar, so he was skeptical that a vegan chili could taste at all appealing. When I told him I was making extra to freeze for our future meals, I just know that he was wishing I would not! But even he said it was great and ate it for lunch even though I told him that I'm serving it for dinner. (Note that I did not put any hot sauce in my recipe because we were out of it, and Chris and I think the chili is plenty zingy. Also, if you do include the hot sauce called for, I think the recipe might have a typo calling for an entire tablespoon. I think it might be calling for just a few drops.)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Looks delicious. We often have a veggie chili on Fridays because we are on the go all day and it can cook in the crock pot. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck today! I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete