Saturday, June 2, 2007

New Mailbox Planting

Chris and I are excited about our new mailbox planting. See the progression below:




First, Chris spruced up our mailbox. He bought a new box because the old one was rickety. Then he pulled up the post and sunk it in cement, plus he filled the empty post with sand to make it feel solid. The U.S. Postal Service would approve!
We are novice gardeners, but I grew up with very experienced father and aunt master gardeners, plus I took a landscaping class two years ago. Armed with a bit of knowledge (always dangerous!) and our Georgia Gardener's Guide, we chose a landscape shrub rose (Knock Out 'Radrazz'), Artemisia 'Powis Castle,' and lambs' ears. The lambs' ears will propagate themselves and fill in along the front edge, not growing much taller than they are now. The Artemisia should fill in fast and grow two to three feet tall. The roses should fill in along the back of the arc and grow two to six feet, although we plan to keep them tamed to perhaps four feet tall. The roses enjoy an even watering and can be watered weekly with the lawn. The other plants are more drought-tolerant and should do well in the hot spot near the street with less watering.

3 comments:

  1. It is worth noting that moving from picture #1 to picture #2 was considerably less painful than the move to picture #3. Swinging a 6lb pick for 4 hours into dry Georgia clay is not easy on muscles that are much better suited for I.T. consulting. But it was all worth it to see my beautiful wife that happy. I think we are almost even for the whole birth of our first child thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive! Good for you Chris, and Katherine your planning was very nice. I see those rose-thingies on many a landscaping bed in my neighborhood and they are all full bloom right now and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would reply to my dear husband about the reciprocal nature of my birthing our first child for 12 hours and his swinging a pick axe . . . but I think I'll skip it because I know he's teasing me!

    ReplyDelete