Saturday, May 26, 2007

"Snakes on a Plane" . . . I mean, "In the Grass"



Wildlife Report: This morning when Chris was mowing the lawn, he nearly mowed over a three-foot-long snake in our grass! As you can see from the first photo, Chris barely saw it in time.


The snake appeared not to be poisonous, so we let him slither away unharmed, hoping that he will help keep down the rodent population. We called over the neighbor kids: two six-year-old twins. Chris and I were amazed when their intrepid mother said, "I wonder what would happen if I touched the snake?" First she gently put her foot on its tail, then she picked it up by the tail and pulled it out of the bushes! The snake simply slithered away with renewed vigor.




Chris and I suspect that the egg which we found in the towhees' nest might not be a new brood but is a dud from the last brood. We have not seen the parent birds and the egg just sits there.

No comments:

Post a Comment