Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

We enjoyed a mostly relaxing three-day weekend, especially after Chris has been working such long hours for the last two weeks. On Saturday we didn't have any social obligations, so we worked on the house. Chris installed a shiny new faucet in one of our bathrooms and fixed our mail box.

My memory is fuzzy but I think we were mostly blobs on Sunday, which was much needed. On Monday, we travelled two and a half hours to St. Michael's Catholic Church in Auburn, Alabama, to attend the first traditional rite Mass that has been prayed there in the diocese, I think, since the Council of Vatican II. John did fairly well during the drive, only occasionally crying to let us know he needed us to pull over so I could nurse him.

Chris tells me that the Mass was lovely. As usual, I spent the Mass moving between the cry room, the vestibule, and outdoors with a happily loud, but sometimes crying, baby, so I wasn't much of an eye witness. After Mass, I got to meet some Internet friends "IRL" (in real life). Here is a photo of four of us ladies and some of our ten children:


After the Mass, we went to a picnic to celebrate the Mass and in honor of Lt. Col. Hal Moore (Ret.), the author of We Were Soldiers Once...and Young: Ia Drang - the Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam, which was made into the movie We Were Soldiers, starring Mel Gibson. (Lt. Col. Moore initiated bringing our Mass to St. Michael's.) Unfortunately, Chris and I weren't prepared to stay longer at a picnic in the hot heat, while wearing our church clothes, and with no sunscreen for John, so we merely stopped by to eat and run.

Cutie photo of John flipping around on the floor and laughing:


No comments:

Post a Comment