Thursday, May 17, 2007

Learning To Sit Unsupported

This morning I showed Chris our baby birds. We saw the male this time with the female and are now almost certain these are towhees.


We noticed that John wearing this particular pair of overalls without a tee-shirt makes him look a bit like a moonshiner from the backwoods.



I have sat John on the ground unsupported only twice now. Last week he flopped right over but today he was able to sit by himself for about five seconds each time. John has always loved standing on my lap and can now support himself against a piece of furniture (if I stand him there and keep my hands nearby to catch him).

John is becoming stronger by the moment. While lying down, he moves his body around in creative ways, as if exploring this new body he's discovered. Several times I've seen him get up on all fours, either his elbows and knees or his hands and feet. He remains that way only a moment, then stretches into a new position. Interestingly, John moves the most and does his army crawling in the middle of the night while half asleep (eyes closed).

What's Cookin'? Tonight I made yogurt-"fried" chicken (coated in yogurt and bread crumbs, then baked) and a new recipe: Black Bean and Couscous Salad. I used spinach couscous, which was a most lovely light green color. This salad is quite delicious, healthy, and full of protein. I think it would be good to take to a potluck.



2 comments:

  1. ha it's hard not to copy cat each other, with babies only a week apart. anyway, john is very advanced for his age, while Christina is very placid and unambitious. I was amazed Christina beat him to the sitting. I am hoping she masters it by Tuesday, the day of her six month photo. But, she probably won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way that expression on john's face when he is standing up at the ottoman is just priceless. so funny!

    ReplyDelete