Sunday, December 31, 2006

Our Big Saturday (and Our Big Son!)

On Saturday, our wonderful and competent birthing instructor Sallie invited us to speak to her current students about my labor. We were happy to oblige! Sallie teaches the Bradley birthing method in her excellent 12-week classes, which is what enabled me to get through my Pitocin-labor without any pain medications and which taught my dear husband how to help me do it!

Sallie holding John:



Sallie happens to host her classes at John's pediatrician's office, so we obtained permission from the doctor to weigh John while we were there. The little tank weighed in at 8 pounds 5 ounces!

Birth: 6 lbs 10 oz
Dropped to: 6 lbs 0 oz
11 days old: 6 lbs 11 oz
26 days old: 8 lbs 5 oz
= weight gain of 1.7 oz per day for the prior 15 days!
= God's designed food for infants is perfect!

After Sallie's class, the three of us made my first postpartum trip to the grocery store. I feel so incompetent as I have to learn to do everything from scratch with an infant. At the store, John and I had Chris there for safety but we tried to pretend he wasn't there, so I would do things the way I would with John alone. John was very happy in his sling and the trip went well! Oh no . . . I think this means I am ready to take back more of my domestic duties . . .

Photos of Mama and John taking a nap on Saturday afternoon. (No, these are not a photos of John nursing. He is just snuggling against my sweater.)



No comments:

Post a Comment