Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Katherine's Great Adventure (12-13-06)

Today was my second outing, my first being when Chris and I took John to his first pediatrician's appointment (on Day 5). I began this wonderful day by making the bed for the first time since we came home from the hospital. Then I dressed John is a very cute boy outfit (thanks, Alicia!). I traded in the various pajamas I've been wearing for nine days for non-maternity clothing, including a size medium skirt that inexplicably fits despite my gaining more than 30 pounds in this pregnancy! Despite the popularity for the goth look, I refreshed my death-warmed-over appearance with makeup and put my hair in a French braid instead of a rat's nest pony tail. I felt like a million bucks!

Then Chris drove me the one mile to the local, monthly La Leche League meeting, which I've been attending for several months now. Alas, all the doors were locked. I knocked loudly but, despite the cars in the parking lot, there were no signs of life within the building. I was so disappointed that I almost burst into tears, which I'm sure other mommies who remember their first big outings will understand.

We had a few more minutes of free time, so we drove to the Department of Motor Vehicles to register a used car we purchased recently. There, at least, I thought I'd get some cooing over this incredibly precious baby. But no! The clerk who helped us was a youthful punk rocker type with dyed-fuschia hair who did not even acknowledge this most tiny and kissable 9-day-old infant right in front of her!





EDIT: My non-pajamas outfit only lasted till the afternoon when cute John pooped on my shirt AND skirt. Even newborn diapers are too big for John. The incident made this new mama wonder what one is supposed to do if such a thing were to happen in public. Do women carry around extra outfits for themselves?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you can just keep an extra shirt and skirt in the car for emergencies. Or you can just be sure to always cover yourself with a blanket when you're out and hope the baby hits that first. Barring that (or if the baby hits both outfits in a row), you can proudly consider his additions to your wardrobe as your new mommy accessories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way you look really great! and I'm not surprised about your fitting into a non maternity skirt, you have stayed soo skinny on the bottom it's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete